Custom Search

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Perfect Middle Ground

I really really like Kubuntu 10.04. Out of curiosity, I loaded up Kubuntu 10.04 onto my external hard drive to give it a spin. Other than loving the fact that I have my own personal encrypted Linux install bootable at all times on just about any computer I happen to be near, I really really like the new KDE. Take the easy-to-use mentality of standard Ubuntu and mix it with the endless-options power-user mentality of KDE and you get Kubuntu. First impressions went something like this:
Oh! Its the ease of Ubuntu! But wait... all of these options.. all of these rolled in configuration options, right up front? This is made for power users! But it is still Ubuntu? I'm confused... and happy...
Kubuntu seems like the perfect middle ground for those not yet happy to jump to Fedora, SuSE, or Debian proper. Kubuntu still contains some helpful Ubuntu-centric additions (read: training wheels) for the Linux newcomers, but maintains the features and customizations that power-users crave. To add to the list of things I really like about Kubuntu, it is absolutely beautiful.
If I were to pick one Linux distribution to deploy to a mass enterprise environment, it would be Kubuntu. Debian backend, Ubuntu ease-of-use, and KDE power and flexibility. It could possibly be one of the best general office use distributions yet. 

The only problems I can see with KDE is operating within a current Microsoft-rich environment (and this is more of a general Linux /OpenSource problem than a KDE/Ubuntu problem) is the total lack of Exchange support. Whether it is with Evolution or Kontact, it just kills me when I find amazing open source applications that don't work with the biggest force in business today. If running a business on open standards and open technologies is interesting to you, consider Kubuntu a powerful choice.
I highly recommend Kubuntu for those who are ready for more Linux power in their hands, while not quite ready to take the full plunge.